LOS ANGLES ? A judge delayed resumption of the trial of the doctor charged in Michael Jackson's death until Wednesday to give defense attorneys time to analyze new testing that coroner's officials recently conducted.
Testimony had been canceled on Monday so that the prosecution's final witness, Dr. Steven Shafer, could deal with family affairs after his father died last week.
Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor agreed to delay the case against Dr. Conrad Murray for another day after defense attorneys said they needed time to prepare for how to deal with testing the coroner's office conducted last week on the level of the sedative lorazepam in Jackson's system.
Murray's attorneys have suggested that authorities ignored the effects lorazapam may have had on the pop superstar and said their own testing suggested Jackson had taken eight pills before his death.
Coroner's officials determined Jackson died from a lethal dose of the anesthetic propofol. Authorities contend Murray gave Jackson the fatal dose and other sedatives in the singer's bedroom to try to help him sleep. Murray has pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter.
Deputy District Attorney David Walgren said the defense lab's results combine two numbers to make it seem like there was more lorazepam in Jackson's system than may have been present. He said the coroner's tests show a much smaller amount was actually in Jackson's system and are inconsistent with the theory that he swallowed several pills.
Lead defense attorney Ed Chernoff said he had numerous questions about the coroner's testing and had asked the agency to conduct the same test before the trial began but was told it couldn't be done. He said he didn't yet know what impact it will have on how Murray's defense case is presented.
Defense attorneys are expected to begin calling their own witnesses, including experts, later this week.
Pastor agreed it was an issue that defense attorneys needed time to address. He ordered attorneys to give him an update at a hearing Tuesday afternoon.
plaxico burress rex ryan kenya entourage season 8 entourage season 8 avignon asn
KIEV, Ukraine (AP) ? The European Union on Tuesday delayed a key visit by the Ukrainian president after signals that the country's jailed former prime minister, opposition leader Yulia Tymoshenko, will not be released soon.
The decision could strengthen Russia's hand in trying to lure Ukraine back into its sphere of influence. Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych met with his Russian counterpart Tuesday to discuss economic cooperation and natural gas imports.
Tymoshenko was sentenced to seven years in prison last week on charges of abuse of office in the signing of a natural gas import contract with Russia in 2009. She dismissed her trial as Yanukovych's attempt to bar her from parliamentary elections next year. The U.S. and the EU have condemned the conviction as politically motivated.
Yanukovych had been slated to travel to Brussels Thursday for talks on a long-awaited free-trade agreement with the 27-nation bloc, but the EU announced that the trip has been postponed until "a later occasion when the conditions will be more conducive to making progress on the bilateral relations."
"Ukraine has to make improvement on important issues, such as the rule of law and the independence of the judiciary," said Dirk De Backer, spokesman for EU President Herman Van Rompuy.
The postponement of Yanukovych's visit to Brussels follows indications from Kiev that Tymoshenko would not be quickly released based on legal amendments that would turn her misdemeanor from a criminal offense to a milder economic violation as her supporters and Western officials had hoped.
Pro-Yanukovych lawmakers refused to consider a relevant bill Tuesday morning and Yanukovych indicated in an interview with U.S. and European newspapers published Tuesday that passing those legal reforms would take time.
Speaking after Yanukovych's trip was put off, Oleksandr Yefremov, the head of the pro-Yanukovych faction in parliament, took an even harder stance, saying his party would not back the legal change altogether.
"First of all, we don't change legislation for one person," Yefremov said in a statement posted on the party's Web site. "Second, if we annul that legal provision, we will automatically absolve public servants of responsibility for misusing the budget."
Both Kiev and Brussels sought to downplay the postponement of Yanukovych's visit, saying negotiations on the trade agreement were still continuing.
"We are continuing to work with Ukraine," said EU Commission spokeswoman Karolina Kottova.
Ukraine's Foreign Ministry spokesman Oleh Voloshin said the nation regrets the visit's postponement "because our goal is to continue cooperation with the EU."
The development could boost Russia's influence over Ukraine as it tries to get Kiev join a Moscow-led economic group that would come at the expense of a free trade agreement between the EU and Ukraine. Moscow has offered to lower prices for natural gas to lure Ukraine into joining the group.
Russian President Dmitry Medvedev met with Yanukovych Tuesday in the eastern Ukrainian city of Donetsk to discuss economic cooperation, while Russia's Prime Minister Vladimir Putin was set to meet separately with his Ukrainian counterpart at a forum of ex-Soviet nations in St. Petersburg.
Yanukovych and Medvedev both said that talks on Ukraine joining the Moscow-led customs union are continuing, but didn't gave further details. Yanukovych also said he hopes that negotiations on Russian natural gas imports would be concluded in the near future.
Timothy Ash, London-based head of emerging market research at Royal Bank of Scotland said that the EU snubbing of Yanukovych could give an "interesting dynamic" to Russia-Ukraine talks. "Will the apparent fissure in the relationship with the EU encourage Russia to offer concessions over energy to bring Ukraine back within the Russian sphere of influence?" Ash asked.
_______
Raf Casert contributed to this report from Brussels.
Associated Pressatlanta insanity leonard cohen napoleon napoleon wish you were here lyrics wish you were here lyrics

We recently heard that Google is planning to launch its own MP3 store as part of its Music Beta efforts. Google has notoriously struggled with record labels over its music streaming service, which has been responsible for much of the lag. While Music Beta from Google received ample attention at launch, it?s since had to weather the storm of competitors (Spotify being chief among them) that have stepped up their game in the form of intense Facebook integration and boast-worthy catalogs.
Never one to give up or give in, however, Google is pressing forward. Rumor has it the music store is set to launch this quarter, possibly by Christmas. And for its part, Google is also trying to make itself more attractive to recording artists and their respective management labels. YouTube now includes a variety of features that can allow entertainer?s to promote their brand. The Merch Store allows you to direct followers and fans to buy everything from your concert tickets, t-shirts, and even download your music.
Google is partnering with Topspin and SongKick, as well as iTunes and Amazon for providing downloading services. But clearly Google is intent on eventually moving in-house for music downloads, making YouTubes Merch Store and its yet-to-be named music store a complementary pair.
YouTube?s undergone a significant evolution within the last year. The formerly amateur-friendly site is becoming increasingly professional, and increasingly focused on being a platform to drive profit for its devoted users. It?s long been seen as a funnel for Google TV (another platform that has struggled with content providers) to turn to, but YouTube could also be an option to drive some traffic to a budding MP3 store.?
apple juice apple juice brad pitt brad pitt us constitution us constitution articles of confederation
Blake Lively Spotted Visiting Ryan Reynolds In Boston Again!
Are former “Green Lantern” co-stars Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds getting serious already? The “Gossip Girl” actress, who split from actor Leonardo DiCaprio after dating [...]
Blake Lively Spotted Visiting Ryan Reynolds In Boston Again! Stupid Celebrities Gossip Stupid Celebrities Gossip News
Source: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/stupidcelebrities/~3/335pB5-Bqqs/
leonard cohen napoleon napoleon wish you were here lyrics wish you were here lyrics mine mine
RANGSIT, Thailand ? Beside a wall of white sandbags that has become a front line in Thailand's battle to prevent an epic season of monsoon floods from reaching Bangkok, needlefish swim through knee-high water inside Sawat Taengon's home.
On one side, a cloudy brown river pours through a canal diverting water around the Thai capital, just to the south. On the other side, homes just like his are unscathed. Whether floodwaters breach fortified barriers like these this weekend will decide whether Bangkok will be swamped or spared.
As of late Saturday at least, the alarmed metropolis of glass-walled condominiums and gilded Buddhist temples remained unscathed, and authorities were confident it would narrowly escape disaster.
"We just hope it doesn't go higher," said Sawat, a 38-year-old construction worker whose home had the misfortune of being inside the vast sandbag wall, which runs at least 2.5 miles (four kilometers) along a canal in Rangsit, just north of Bangkok's city limits.
Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's government says most of Bangkok, which lies about six feet (two meters) above sea level, sits safely behind an elaborate system of flood walls, canals, dikes and seven underground drainage tunnels that were completed over the last year.
The latest floods are posing the biggest test those defenses have ever faced.
Adisak Kantee, deputy director of Bangkok's drainage department, reported encouraging signs Saturday. Runoff from the north had decreased slightly and high tides that could have impeded critical water flows to the Gulf of Thailand have not been severe as expected, he told The Associated Press.
Water levels along the main Chao Phraya River and key canals to the north in places like Rangsit are still manageable, he said. But he said there could be trouble if any critical barriers break.
On a bridge above a flooded canal in Rangsit, Army Col. Wirat Nakjoo echoed the need to be vigilant.
"The worst is not over," he said. "The dams are at near full capacity and there's still a lot of water that needs to be released."
Government workers there were taking no chances, stacking new sandbags atop a canal-side wall about 4.5 feet high (1.4 meters high).
The government says the floods, which have killed 297 people, are the worst to hit the Southeast Asian kingdom in half a century. In a radio address Saturday, Yingluck called them "the worst in Thai history."
Monsoon deluges that have pounded Thailand since late July have affected 8 million people and swept across two-thirds of the country, drowning agricultural land and swallowing low-lying villages along the way. More than 200 major highways and roads are impassable, and the main rail lines to the north have been shut down. Authorities say property damage and losses could reach $3 billion dollars.
Flooding in neighboring Cambodia, with less than one-quarter of Thailand's 68 million population, has killed at least 247 people, said Keo Vy, spokesman for Cambodia's National Committee for Disaster Management. China on Saturday began delivering the first of some $7.8 million in flood relief aid, he said.
Thailand's lucrative tourist destinations ? beaches and islands like Koh Samui, Krabi and Phuket ? have not been affected, and its international airports remain open.
In the last few days, government officials have voiced increasing confidence the capital would survive without major damage, but those assurances have failed to stop Bangkokians from raiding supermarket shelves to stock up on bottled water, dried noodles, flashlight batteries and candles.
Subway gates have been sealed with steel barriers. Worried car owners are cramming vehicles into high-rise parking spaces at the city's malls and airports. Some international hotels and street-side shops have barricaded their entranceways with sandbags ? not knowing where or when or even if flooding will occur.
But life in Bangkok remains normal, and the calm contrasts sharply with heavily flooded neighboring provinces, including Ayutthaya and Pathum Thani, where Rangsit is located. Television stations broadcasting images of swamped towns ? showing waterlogged residents in canoes and braving chest-high water ? have inadvertently fueled fears of imminent doom in the capital.
At least one crocodile was captured Saturday outside a house in Ayutthaya, out of what local residents claimed were as many as 300 that escaped from illegal crocodile farms, the newspaper Matichon reported.
Earlier Saturday, a 10-man team of U.S. Marines arrived on a survey mission to determine how Washington can offer help, U.S. Embassy spokesman Walter M. Braunohler said. The Marines were traveling aboard an American military cargo jet full of bottled water and sandbags needed to reinforce flood barriers.
In Rangsit, Sawat said floods occur nearly every year, though never this bad. The water in the canal beside his home began rising a month ago, he said, and the sandbags have risen along with it.
Last week, his family began shifting their valuables to higher ground after flood waters seeped in. Now, his wife and four children move through their home atop makeshift wooden planks that allow them to avoid the water lapping below.
"It's going to get higher," he said. "We need to be prepared."
___
Associated Press writers Grant Peck and Chris Blake in Bangkok, and Sopheng Cheang in Phnom Penh contributed to this report.
harry connick jr david beckham maurice sendak zooey deschanel tyche tyche jejune
DERA ISMAIL KHAN, Pakistan (AP) ? Intelligence officials say a recent U.S. missile strike in Pakistan's tribal region killed three Egyptians linked to the Haqqani militant network.
The officials say the three were killed Friday when missiles struck a car near Miran Shah, the main town in North Waziristan. A fourth person was also killed but has not been identified.
The officials said Sunday that one of the Egyptians was a 28-year-old man named Abdullah who played a key role in handling the financial affairs of the Haqqani network in Pakistan and Afghanistan. He was known locally as Nadeem.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the media.
The U.S. has deemed the Haqqani network the most dangerous group fighting in Afghanistan.
Associated Presscharlie hunnam life quotes beowulf beowulf todays news bergen bergen
Source: http://tabletbuzzblog.com/ipad-security-lock-help/
vincent jackson jets amazing race michael oher craigslist killer showtime raiders
APTexas' Nelson Cruz has been the most prolific home run hitter of the past two postseasons.
OPINION
By Tony DeMarco
NBCSports.com contributor
updated 1:01 a.m. ET Oct. 14, 2011
|
Jackson's five, of course, came in the 1977 World Series ? the final three in a series-clinching Game 6 for the New York Yankees. You can't hit them at a more-important time than that.
But Cruz's five ? a first in League Championship Series history ? have had so much impact, he's the clear favorite to win the ALCS MVP award as his Texas Rangers sit one win away from back-to-back pennants.
That's why in the middle of what has become an almost-daily barrage from Cruz, Rangers manager Ron Washington said during a media briefing: "For you guys who haven't seen Nelson every day, he's capable of doing exactly what he's doing. I'm just happy that we as the Texas Rangers are reaping the benefit of it.''But a walk-off grand slam? That's legit ? and Cruz's won Game 3 in the 11th inning off closer Jose Valverde, who in case you haven't heard, hasn't blown a save opportunity all season.
But it wasn't actually the first extra-inning grand slam in postseason history ? only the first to be officially scored as one. Robin Ventura hit one in the 15th inning of Game 5 in the 1999 NLCS, but was mobbed by Mets teammates before he passed second base, so it's in the books as a single.That came a few innings after Cruz prevented the go-ahead run from scoring with a perfectly executed catch and throw to nail Miguel Cabrera at home on a medium-depth fly ball to right field.
"As I always say, I don't judge Nelson just because he hits balls out of the ballpark,'' Washington said that night. "He's a complete player. He takes pride in every part of his game. Tonight, it was thank you, Nelson Cruz.''
And now you're looking at the game's biggest power threat over the last two postseasons. In 25 games, Cruz has 11 homers and 22 RBI, and 19 of his 26 hits have gone for extra bases (eight doubles). That's what gets you television commercial endorsements in which you swing a 'boomstick'.
So why, you may ask, is Cruz still hitting seventh in Washington's lineup? It's a testament to the game's deepest group of hitters, and a manager's faith in his players even when they struggle.
Cruz, 30, has followed a late-bloomer career path similar to Toronto slugger Jose Bautista. Three teams didn't stick with Cruz long enough ? the Mets (who signed him as an undrafted free agent), the A's, and the Brewers. He was traded for Jorge Velandia on one occasion and Keith Ginter on another, and landed in Texas as a throw-in along with Carlos Lee.
But unlike Bautista, Cruz hasn't cracked the stardom barrier due primarily to an inability to stay off the disabled list. He's never played more than 128 games in a season (2009), and was limited to 124 this season.
A strained left hamstring cut deeply into his September, and Cruz still hadn't regained his timing during the division series against Tampa Bay, when he went 1-for-15 with five strikeouts.
Cruz is only the ninth-highest-paid Ranger at $3.65 million, and sits two years from free agency. He's surrounded by bigger-salaried stars Adrian Beltre, Josh Hamilton, Michael Young and Ian Kinsler. So even when Young and Hamilton haven't produced as expected this postseason, Washington has resisted any urge to change.
And when the Rangers are 6-3 in this postseason, one win from a return trip to the World Series, and averaging five runs per game since being shut out in Game 1 of the ALDS, it's hard to argue with Washington's lineup decisions.
? 2011 NBC Sports.com? Reprintsadvertisement
More newsHBT: Delmon Young is making the most of his fresh start in Detroit, hitting two home runs in Game 5 of the ALCS on Thursday to keep the Tigers alive vs. the Rangers.
Justin Verlander helped save Detroit's season with a gutsy effort and the Tigers hit for a sudden cycle to break away from Texas in a 7-5 victory Thursday that cut the Rangers' lead to 3-2 in the AL championship series.
Source: http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/44899311/ns/sports-baseball/
ufc135 ufc135 dolphin tale dolphin tale one for the money crock pot recipes crock pot recipes